Char-Broil Commercial TRU-Infrared 3-Burner$399
- Three 8,500 BTU stainless steel tubular burners under infrared diffuser plates
- 420 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 575 square inches of grilling space
- 25,500 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 13,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Mixed stainless steel and painted steel construction
- Electric (AA-battery) igniter
- Built-in fuel gauge
- Individual temperature gauges for each burner mounted above burner knobs
- Sold as propane - Convertible to natural gas for an additional price
- Made in China by Char-Broil exclusively for Lowes Home Improvement
Full Review – Char-Broil Commercial TRU-Infrared 3-Burner
What something larger? Try the Char-Broil Commercial TRU-Infrared 4-Burner
Many years ago, Char-Broil went all in on Infrared. Promising higher temperatures with less fuel, infrared has had a lot of hype and has certainly worked for marketing purposes. Char-Broil has used this technology to do a lot of marketing. This is not to say that there are not advantages, but when you bring up infrared, many people think about extreme cooking temperatures. This grill will not do that. In fact, it is in most every way, just like a standard gas grill with one exception, it uses less fuel.
The Char-Broil Commercial 3-Burner uses standard stainless steel tubular burners to focus heat onto a diffuser screen which blocks the flow of hot air and simply radiates heat. The promise is that with less airflow, foods don’t dry out as quickly. There is some truth to this, but it isn’t that noticeable. Using this grill doesn’t require any real changes over a standard grill. Many users probably wouldn’t notice the difference.
The three burners on this gas grill produce 24,000 BTUs of maximum output under 420 square inches of cooking surface. This is low, but the infrared design does a lot to compensate for the lack of power. This grill is efficient. It is not surprisingly hot. In fact, there are comparably priced standard gas grills that will get a lot hotter. They do, however, burn through a lot more fuel.
This model also comes standard with a large, 13,000 BTU side burner. This is a good, powerful side burner, but the truth is, most people don’t use their side burners and it isn’t a consideration when evaluating grills.
The construction quality of this grill is pretty typical of Char-Broil. It is lightweight and the components are not of the best quality. While Char-Broil has been improving their products, if you want durability either spend more or buy less. Either way, most of the competition will last longer. On the other hand, this is an attractive grill and for the price it isn’t a bad purchase.